[sane-devel] discussion: Future of SANE-project

David N. Paules dnp@quantumleap.us
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:18:08 -0400

I am really confused :)
I was under the impression that the SANE project was proposing a better =
alternative to the TWAIN interface. Better, meaning that the backend is =
written once and is cross platform. That's what I understood from the =
intro page on the web-site (I pasted part of the intro here for your =
convenience).

<snippet from intro page on www.sane-project.org>
If you're familiar with TWAIN, you may wonder why there is a need for =
SANE. Simply put, TWAIN does not separate the user-interface from the =
driver of a device. This, unfortunately, makes it difficult, if not =
impossible, to provide network transparent access to image acquisition =
devices (which is useful if you have a LAN full of machines, but =
scanners connected to only one or two machines; it's obviously also =
useful for remote-controlled cameras and such). It also means that any =
particular TWAIN driver is pretty much married to a particular GUI API =
(be it Win32 or the Mac API). In contrast, SANE cleanly separates device =
controls from their representation in a user-interface. As a result, =
SANE has no difficulty supporting command-line driven interfaces or =
network-transparent scanning. For these reasons, it is unlikely that =
there will ever be a SANE backend that can talk to a TWAIN driver. The =
converse is no problem though: it is pretty straight forward to access =
SANE devices through a TWAIN source. In summary, if TWAIN had been just =
a little better designed, there would have been no reason for SANE to =
exist, but things being the way they are, TWAIN simply isn't SANE.
</snippet>

I guess without an image or in depth technical explanation, I am having =
a difficult time understanding where SANE and TWAIN operate on different =
levels, as you indicated in your message. Your message indicates that =
TWAIN is a necessary technology, but the intro page indicates that TWAIN =
is not necessary, and that SANE is the replacement.

And from the intro page, I thought that a scanner manufacturer that =
bundles 3rd-party TWAIN-compliant front-ends (OCR packages, =
Photoshop-like packages, etc.), but who wanted to move to supporting =
SANE could make the SANE backend and keep their Win32 TWAIN front-end =
for these 3rd-party software apps. Perhaps I misunderstood something =
there too.

Regarding manu. support, I wasn't thinking of formal contracts or such =
with each manufacturer. In the beginning, just publicly crediting =
companies that have contributed to various backends (even if it's only =
one scanner). But make that information easily available on the =
web-site, not burried in source code.

Until I understand how the expected roles of TWAIN and SANE (as =
architected in SANE, its roadmap, etc.) I cannot argue my points about =
simply making the web-site contain more information about the =
importance, benefits, momentum, and support of the SANE project. If you =
could take a moment, I'd appreciate it. There are many components in =
talking to a scanner, and I don't see how they all fit together.
1. driver (OS and scanner chipset dependent),=20
2. connection protocol handler (USB, SCSI, TCP/IP, Bluetooth?)
3. TWAIN?
4. SANE?
5. Applications

If you have a moment to draw out the ideal setup, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dave Paules