[sane-devel] USB Scanner problem

Cory Foy usergroup@cornetdesign.com
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:23:40 -0500

Ok, I got it working completely. I'm on a 2.6 kernel, so this might help=20
someone.

The first problem was that I couldn't get sane-find-scanner to work.=20
This is because libusb has to be installed before SANE. Using Gentoo, I=20
had to set the USE flags in /etc/make.conf to be aware of usb. Then I=20
emerged libusb, then emerged XSANE (which emerged sane-backends). I=20
modified the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf to only have plustek enabled and=20
/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf to the settings for my scanner.

Once sane-find-scanner worked, I was able to see the scanner in=20
scanimage -L under root. Looking at the output of it, I saw a line=20
similar to:

[plustek] sane_get_devices (0xbfffe538, 0)
device `plustek:libusb:001:003' is a Canon N1240U/LiDE30 USB flatbed scan=
ner

So I went over to /proc/bus/usb/001/003 (the last two taken from the=20
scanimage output) and changed the permissions to 777.

I then verified that scanimage -L was working under non-root. Which it wa=
s.

The problem now is that the permissions reset themselves fairly quickly.=20
  I found a daemon that runs to keep the permissions set:

http://www.xena.uklinux.net/Linux/usb_perms.html

but haven't tried it yet. Will probably do that soon.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Cory