[sane-devel] 'scanner busy' 'no devices found' etc.

Graeme Nichols gnichols@tpg.com.au
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:25:43 +1000

--=-0hpTKGv9Th/AByn4CLTK

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:32, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 03:14:31PM +1000, Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > I upgraded my RH8 system to FC2 day before yesterday and today I have
> > been tidying up the install and setting my preferences and testing all
> > my hardware. I ran Kooka and did some test scans and all were OK. I the=
> > tried scanimage which bash complained about. 'rpm -qi sane' resulted in
> > the reply 'package sane not installed'. So... Kooka doesn't use sane it
> > appears. That would explain why kooka worked before and scanimage
> > didn't. Kooka must have its own backend etc.
>=20
> Are you sure? I rather think that "sane" contains frontends like
> xscanimage and scanimage and the actual backends are in
> "sane-backends" or "Libsane". At least that's the case on Debian
> systems.
>=20
> Bye,
>   Henning

Hello Henning, you are quite right. rpm -qi sane-frontends results in
the following:

[graeme@barney rpm]$ rpm -qi sane-frontends
Name        : sane-frontends               Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 1.0.11                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 4                             Build Date: Wed 18 Feb 2004
04:18:56 EST
Install Date: Wed 14 Jul 2004 17:18:19 EST      Build Host:
tweety.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM:
sane-frontends-1.0.11-4.src.rpm
Size        : 74946                            License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 07 May 2004 08:14:18 EST, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.sane-project.org
Summary     : Graphical frontend to SANE
Description :
This is the xscanimage program, used to scan images using SANE, either
standalone or as a gimp plugin. Also includes xcam.

rpm -qi sane-backends results in the following:

[graeme@barney rpm]$ rpm -qi sane-backends
Name        : sane-backends                Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 1.0.13                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 7                             Build Date: Sat 08 May 2004
00:45:18 EST
Install Date: Wed 14 Jul 2004 17:00:01 EST      Build Host:
tweety.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
sane-backends-1.0.13-7.src.rpm
Size        : 6452668                          License: GPL (programs),
relaxed LGPL (libraries), and public domain (docs)
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 08 May 2004 01:32:02 EST, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.sane-project.org
Summary     : Scanner access software.
Description :
Scanner Access Now Easy (SANE) is a universal scanner interface. The
SANE application programming interface (API) provides standardized
access to any raster image scanner hardware (flatbed scanner,
hand-held scanner, video and still cameras, frame-grabbers, etc.). If
they are using SANE, developers can write image-processing
applications without having to think about the peculiarities of
individual devices. SANE also makes it possible to write a device
driver once, which can then be used by any SANE-compliant
application. SANE currently includes drivers for some Epson SCSI
scanners, HP ScanJet SCSI scanners, Microtek SCSI scanners, Mustek
SCSI flatbed scanners, PINT devices, most UMAX SCSI scanners,
Connectix QuickCam, and other SANE devices via network. Note that this
package does not enable network scanning by default. If you wish to
enable network scanning, read the saned(1) manpage. If you would like
to develop SANE modules, you should also install the
sane-backends-devel package.

I was expecting that it would all be under 'sane'. My apologies for
mis-leading you.

Regards,

Graeme.

--=-0hpTKGv9Th/AByn4CLTK