[sane-devel] FW: Other new info

Frank Zago fzago@austin.rr.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:56:29 -0500

Hi,

> Humm...
> I made some proofs ... I found several differences between my
> sane-find-scanner -v -v executed in root or by my usual user
> As you can see in the 2 outputs I have pasted you forward, when i
> execute the command from my user the output gives an ipotethic chip for
> the device, with no name of manufacturer or peripheral, instead, if I do
> the command from root, he gives me the names of the different
> peripherals, canon canoscan included, but he doesn't tell me anything
> 'bout the chip.
> Another try I did was to look into my hardware browser, installed in X,
> and I found something else. It puts between the "system peripherals" a
> peripheral which it calls "canon Canoscan", with an "unknown" tag at the
> "driver" voice.

"canon Canoscan" is reported by the device itself, as most usb devices do. a cat
/proc/bus/usb/devices will show you the same info. Same for "driver".

Your scanner uses isochronous pipes to communicate. libusb does not yet support
isochronous transfers. The old kernel driver didn't either (AFAIK).
Conclusion: there is no driver yet for your scanner.

Now if you're really brave, there is a patch for libusb floating around to
support isochronous pipes. You can start a project to support your scanner. A
few people have done that, so it's possible. Henning has written a few web pages
on that subject.

Sorry.

Frank.