[sane-devel] Set up: "Epson Perfection 1670 Photo" - Debian Unstable

Dan Hunt debian.list@sasktel.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:28:20 -0600

Oliver Schwartz wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>I have edited /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf to
>>uncomment out the line
>>/dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb
>>

>For kernel 2.6 this line should be removed. SANE will detect your
>scanner automatically using libusb.
>

>>Anyone have some gentle guidance or HOWTO I must read to get this
>>scanner sharing my vacation photo's on my website?
>>

>You need to edit snapscan.conf to point to the correct firmware file.
>See http://snapscan.sf.net

Wow that worked! Love it! Thanks. Used bits of this
http://www.commercialventvac.com/~jeffs/epson1670andFedora.html
page to grab the firmware rather than get it from the c.d.

I can scan as "Root". Lots of dire warnings saying I should not.
So I discovered in the FAQ that
#chmod a+rw /proc/bus/usb/004/005  allows regular user
to scan! And it works!

However the FAQ mentions that this permission is not
permanent. What "Hot plug tools" am I looking for to allow all users to
access the scanner?

Kind Regards,
Dan Hunt