[sane-devel] saned + win32-xsane problem

Keith Clayton keith@claytons.org
Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:16:13 -0700

Very right . . must have had a typo in the command line.

I re-did my tests.

First test: used xsane to do a remote full scan and quit.  Everything
worked fine.  gzipped log: xsane_regscan_quit_log.txt.gz

2nd test: used xsane to do a remote preview scan then attempt a regular
scan once the preview has completed and the scanner head returned to
starting position.  preview scan is fine, regular scan dies.  xsane
bails completely.  saned is left running.  scanner is inaccesible even
from host box and needs to be power cycled.  One interesting thing I
recognized in the process table of the host box is that there where *2*
saned processes running.  Looks like the preview scan in xsane uses the
saned process started with SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 saned -d255 but then
the subsequent regular scan attempt forks the saned process so there are
2 saned -d255 processing running and then it dies.  Note: saned is
disabled in xinetd so its not getting started that way.

gzipped log: xsane_previewscan_regscan_die_log.txt.gz

Note in the case of the first test, when I quit, the single instance of
saned running is closed out.

Don't know if this sheds any light on the situation or not.  Hope my
description is clear enough.

Sorry took me a couple of days to get back on this.  Lots of life the
past couple of days

Cheers,
Keith