[sane-devel] Re: HP 5300C Xsane Failure

Rene Rebe rene@rocklinux-consulting.de
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:52:52 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:32:47 -0500,
    Myke Carter <mykec@mykec.net> wrote:

> My currently installed RPM is "sane-backends-1.0.8-1.ximian.1".

Yeah - forget this one - say goodbye to it ...

> This, obviously, came to me from Ximian Gnome during some past =

> install/upgrade to my stock Red Hat system.  Ximian tends to play by =
its =

> own rules, so I'm kinda hesitant to use just any more recent RPM to =

> upgrade what's been given me.

There is not way to get your scanner working with this version.

AFAIK the SANE/Backend pacakge is backward compaitible - just make
sure your source packages replaces the RPM package files, so compile
with the correct --sysconfdir and --prefix ...

> > If you want to compile from source:
> > =

> >   http://www.rocklinux-consulting.de/oss/avision/compiling.html
> =

> I am downloading this now but am curious as to what kinds of conflict=
s I =

> might encounter by mixing this with my current Ximian RPM installatio=
n.

Do not forget that you need the wohle sane-backend package
(sane.alioth.debian.org). The current version is 1.0.14. Optionally
you can replace the avision.{c,h} files with the one from my
homepage. You scanner will work with 1.0.14 - but in my svn
(Subversion) repository you get some newer fixes, like enhanced
sharpness, more robust light detection and enhanced 16bit / channel
support ...

> > You only need to compile / install sane-backend and other sane
> > packages can be left untouched.
> =

> Is it not enough to just replace my current /etc/sane.d/avision.conf =

> file with the same one from a newer version?

No. This is just a configuration file - which is even optional and can
be completely missing for my Avision backend. My backend uses
reasonable defaults and detects any setting for tested scanners. The
config files is only available to overwrite setting during
debugging. All the real funtionally is present in 6122 (pure wc) of C
code ... You can not avoid updating it.

> Thanks for your quick response,

Sometimes my inbox is not that crowded and people get quick replies
;-)

Sincerely yours,
  Ren=E9 Rebe
    - ROCK Linux stable release maintainer