[sane-devel] Experience with brother backend?

Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:46:45 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 01:27:20PM -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> an objdump on the .so, plus some comments in the faq make me think it uses
> libusb.

Maybe it's used directly (without the use of sanei_usb). I haven't
looked into the details.

> i have not used the code, though. i have a brother printer, but no mfc.
>
> i have a bigger question, though. is their packaging of gpl'd and lgpl'd
> and proprietary code together ok?

I'm not really sure. Concerning the SANE license (e.g. sanei_usb.c) it
*could* be ok, even if using parts of the sane distribution with
proprietary backends wasn't the intention of the SANE exception. I
haven't checked the implications of using their license in combination
with GPL/SANE and LGPL, however. I'd never put such part of software
on any of my website because of this license nightmare :-/