[sane-devel] Sane, Microtek ScanMaker II and Mac OS X SCSI

David B Brown david_b_brown@mac.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:36:16 +0000

--Apple-Mail-2--719955170

Matto,

  what's the "multiple LUN" problem ? The scanner is responding 8 times
to the Inquiry request, each time with a different LUN. I had a hunch
this might be confusing the scanner, but it looks like the Mac OS X
implementation  in sanei_scsi.c searches for scanners by vendor and
model only, when the microtek backend attaches to the scanner it
attached to the last one that responded to the Inquiry command which is
always LUN 07.

	After the start scan, then scanner does start moving, not actually
scanning, but all the pre-scam noises and movements that are normal for
this scanner  but then within 20-30 seconds it seems to reset itself.

Cheers

David

On 4 Mar 2004, at 20:41, Matto Marjanovic wrote:

>> So the first thing that fails is the first scsi command being sent
>> that
>> has the isWrite set to 0:
>>
>> [microtek] .get_scan_status 0...
>> [sanei_scsi] cmd2: cmd_size:6 src_size:0 dst_size:6 isWrite:0
>> [sanei_scsi] isRead dst_size:6
>> [sanei_scsi] Executing command
>> [sanei_scsi] ExecuteTaskSync OK Trasferred 0 bytes
>> [microtek] get_scan_status(0): 0, 0, 0 -> #0
>>
>> I would understand this better if this was a "read only" problem, but
>> this seems to be a "write only" problem, which doesn't make sense...
>
> Has that "Multiple LUN" problem been ruled out yet?  Perhaps the
> scanner
>  is responding for some commands, but not for others.
>
> Another possible odd-ball issue is that this set of Microtek scanners
> does
>  not use a SCSI-2 command set --- it's a variant of SCSI-1 with a lot
> of
>  vendor-defined commands and completely non-standard sense codes.
> Perhaps
>  the OS-X iokit is getting confused by that.  (The linux scsi drivers
> have
>  pretty much never returned the sense codes back to user-space without
>  mangling them beyond recognition.)
>

> Another question:  does the scanner ever start moving/making noises?
>  The log snippets show that "start_scan" is received ok --- the scanner
>  should start doing something after that.  If not, maybe "start_scan"
>  has not been received ok.
>
> Hmm...
>
> Quite possibly *none* of the commands (besides INQUIRY) have been
>  received ok --- but the sense codes are being ignored, and the
>  get_scan_status is the first command that is actually waiting for
>  data to return from the scanner, hence the first one that hangs.
>
> -matt m.

--Apple-Mail-2--719955170
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit