[sane-devel] Re: microtek slimscan C6 USB

Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:38:42 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 07:21:07PM -0500, jrlannon1@cox.net wrote:
> I don't think we are looking at a cable or H/W issue because the scanner
> works fine under OS 10.3.2 using Ed Hamrick's VueScan.

At least theoretically, the existence of a hardware problem may only
show with one operating system and not the other. I don't know if that
can happen with USB devices but I have seen SCSI drives with wrong
termindation which worked flawlessly with Linux and didn't work at all
with Windows until termination was fixed.

> Haven't tried a more recent kernel, just used the Yellowdog 3.0.1 configured
> kernel right out of the box.

If your hardware is ok, the only other source of the problem can be
the kernel.

> You see the same error messages without the microtek module loaded.  If the
> Slimscan C6 USB is connected at boot-up, the messages appear.

Ok. So it's a bug in the general USB system of the kernel, not in the
microtek module.

> In the yellowdoglinux lists, someone suggested adding the line
>
> usb /dev/usb/scanner0

That won't work for two reasons:
a) Your problem is with the kernel, not SANE
b) Your scanner is supported by the kernel microtek module. That
   module shows the scanner to userspace as a SCSI scanner. The
   microtek2 backend can only talk to SCSI scanners, therefore the
   microtek kernel module is necessary. /dev/usb/scanner0 is for
   "real" USB scanners, so that won't work with the microtek2 backend.

> into microtek2.conf.  The poster did a similar thing to the epson.conf file and
> it worked for him.  I'm going to try it and see what happens.

Compeletely different backend.

One more idea: I don't know if it exists on your platform but on i386
both the kernel options "support for ACPI" and "local APIC" sometimes
cause USB trouble. Search in google for "noapic" should show some
information.

If that's not the problem, update the kernel. If it still doesn't
work, ask linux-usb-devel.