[sane-devel] Xsane "Failed to open device `umax_pp:/dev/parport0': Error during device I/O.

stef svoltz@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 13 May 2004 21:40:01 +0000

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:16:32AM -0400, Chase James [Roboticon Systems] wrote:
> I'm having trouble in Mandrake 9.2 with my Umax Astra 1220p.  The
> scanner clicks on and makes normal noise when I click the
> "Aquire->Xsane: Device Dialog..." option in Gimp, but a dialog pops up
> with the error "Failed to open device `umax_pp:/dev/parport0': Error
> during device I/O."  I did a chmod 777 on /dev/parport0, but that didn't
> help.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Chase

	The first noises you heard are scanner probing. If head parks
normalyy before trying the Acquire menu, we can think that the parallel
port is correctly set up.

	The only way to really know what's going on is to set the debug
level to the max and log messages to a file. From command line do:

export SANE_DEBUG_UMAX_PP_LOW=255
gimp 2>debug.log

	Then send the log file (compressed since it is big), so that I
can have a look at what's going on.

Regards,
	Stef