[sane-devel] Re: Cannot compile xsane 0.92 with Gimp 2 plugin

John Hunt john.lists@yoredale.uklinux.net
Fri, 14 May 2004 20:17:01 +0100

On Thursday 13 May 2004 19:45, John Hunt wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to compile xsane 0.92 with the patch for gimp 2.0.  Configure
> fails to enable the plugin because the gimp test fails.
>
> The output of configure contains:
> checking for GIMP - version >= 1.3.23... *** Could not run GIMP test
> program, checking why... *** The test program failed to compile or link.
> See the file config.log for the *** exact error that occured. This usually
> means GIMP is incorrectly installed.
>
> config.log contains this line:
> conftest.c:80:26: libgimp/gimp.h: No such file or directory
>

> I have installed gimp 2.0 from sources, with prefix /usr/local (the
> default). It appears to work ok.  gimp.h exists at
> /usr/local/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimp.h
> The system is Mandrake 9.2.

I'm making progress on this.
By trial and error, this allows the gimp test program to compile:

$ export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/gimp-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0/ -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include"
$ ./configure

But now configure complains:

checking for GIMP - version >= 1.3.23... *** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GIMP or finding the wrong
*** version of GIMP. If it is not finding GIMP, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH

config.log contains nothing I recognise as being helpful.

I have tried a few things without success, eg setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
and editing /etc/ld.so.conf, but no success.

I've almost run out of ideas, so if anyone can assist I'd be grateful. I am reluctant to
uninstall gimp 1.2 because I need to use it frequently until I manage to get
xsane to work with gimp 2.

Thanks
John Hunt
Stokesley, N Yorks, UK