[sane-devel] SUSE9.1: sane-port in /etc/services

Sun, 30 May 2004 15:57:56 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:48:30AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> I know that much, but all the sane-backend stuff mentions the "sane"
> service only, AFAIK.  If Henning went through the trouble of getting
> the "sane-port" service registered with IANA (instead of "sane") then
> shouldn't the implementation be patched to match?

I went "through the trouble" of getting the service registered to make
sure that nobody else uses port 6566. At that time I didn't really
care about the name used in "services". I'm not sure why I used
"sane-port" but I remember there was some reason not to use "sane".

> If Henning meant to register the "sane" service, then something went
> wrong in getting that across and IANA registered the wrong service.
>
> Question stands: what is the prefered way to fix this?

Update the documentation in CVS. Mention in the manpages that "sane"
is now deprecated.

Other opinions?