[sane-devel] gcc version reference

PaulR.Cormier PaulR.Cormier
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:02:13 -0500

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:16:36 -0500
"Bensel" <whitemanor@netzero.net> wrote:

> We downloaded gcc-2.95 from debian.org  (gcc-2.95_2.95.4-11woody1_i386.deb)  When we attempted to install it, we received notification that we needed two dependencies (gcc & binutils).  When we attempted to download the specified gcc (>= 1:2.95.3-2), it actually downloaded gcc_2.95.4-14_i386.deb.  Is there anyway to tell it to look for the 2.95.4-14 rather than the 2.95.3-2?
>
> This is an attempt to get a Memorex MEM 48u scanner working with Linspire 4.5.393.  The required artec_eplus48u backend is in the sane-backends-1.0.14 we downloaded but when trying to configure that we received an error message that no acceptable C compiler was found in $PATH.
>
> Thanks for your guidance.

You said "when we attempted to install it", does that mean that you were using the "dpkg" tool instead of "apt-get"?
I found the "sane-backends-1.0.14" available (already built for debian) on the debian web site.
So you could use the "apt-get" command (see debian web site for details) to install the package.
You may also need to install some of the dependencies.

Linspire is ok and easy to use if you join their Click-N-Run Warehouse, but if you don't intend to do that you could use the free trial to get gcc installed.  I am not convinced that Linspire is a good option if you don't join the CNR Warehouse because the install CD's are lacking several of the development tools and utilities for expansion that are included in other Linux distro's.  On the positive side, you only have to join once to have lifetime access (through CNR) to the items that you installed while a member.

--
Best regards and good luck,

Paul R. Cormier
prcormier@adelphia.net