[sane-devel] USB scanners DO work on Solaris 10 x86

Tomasz Orliński tomasz.orlinski@wp.pl
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 20:26:50 +0200

I would like to inform you, that I have compiled SANE on Sun Solaris 10 x86
with built-in USB scanner support. It was possible, because Sun had prepared
libusb library wrapper for Solaris 10. I know, that Solaris 10 Software
Express Release 08/04 is required. I have done it in that way:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/sfw/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
CFLAGS="-I/usr/sfw/include"
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/sfw/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/sfw/lib -R/usr/sfw/lib -lusb"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH CFLAGS CPPFLAGS LDFLAGS
./configure --prefix=/opt/sane --disable-fork-process
make
make install
It was also required to add a generic USB kernel driver. I had to look for
my scanner device name in output of
prtconf -D -v
command. My scanner is Plustek UT24 and the apropriate part of output looked
like this:
name='compatible' type=string items=8 value='usb7b3,17.100' + ...
I had to remove the not used kernel driver
rem_drv ugen
And add it again:
add_drv -i 'usb7b3,17.100' ugen
Then, /opt/sane/bin/sane-find-scanner detected my scanner and everything
worked fine. I to add " " signs around usb7b3,17.100 name in
/etc/driver_aliases to have the scanner working after reboot.
To compile this packages SUNWlibusb and SUNWlibusbugen were needed. I used
Solaris Software Companion CD gcc 2.95.3 compiler and Sun's /usr/ccs/bin/ld
linker. USB support DOES NOT work in Solaris 9 and earlier versions.
I hope, that this information would be useful for other USB scanner users.

Tomasz Orlinski