[sane-devel] Parallel Scanning and Printing

Marc Dirix marc@electronics-design.nl
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:24:24 +0200

I have an Canoscan N640P, which works fine with sane/xsane.
The interface is parallel, and on the scanner there is printer
throughput which also is working fine.

However, and I don't know if this should be solved in the backend
or in sane, when I use the copy mode of Xsane, or even if Xsane
is opened the printer doesn't work anymore. I need to close xsane
and then te printjob starts. Probably xsane opens the backend and keeps
the connecting live with the scanner while open.

I can think of 2 sollutions for this problem, either xsane let's go of the
scanner when it isn't using the device, or the backend should detect
a printjob is waiting and disconnect from the scanner.

Is there anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there already a sollution
for this? If not, which sollution is best, and where should I start looking?

versions:
sane  1.0.13-1 (Debian unstable)
xsane 0.96-1 (Debian unstable)

Kind regards,