[sane-devel] backend coding overview

Mbosowo I Sampson msampson@ic.sunysb.edu
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:33:33 -0400 (EDT)

I'm interested in writing a back end for the 3970. I've been reading
specs, looking at other back ends, trying to get familiar with sane,
etc... Its all a little daunting. I feel as though I know more than I did
a few days ago, but not nearly enough to even begin to know where to
start. I think what I'm looking for here is a general overview of how sane
interacts with a USB scanner.  I feel like I can't see the forest because
I'm preoccupied with studying the composition of bark on each tree. Once I
have the conceptual part down, I think all the details will fall into
place as I continue reading the documentation.

What I'm asking for is a break down of the steps involved for a scan to be
made. I'm trying to conceptualize how libusb, the driver I will write, the
front end, and the chip set all interact together to execute a successful
scan. Doesn't have to be in minute detail, but some detail is always good.

 						Mboso