[sane-devel] Fwd: HP scanjet IIcx /t resolution

Martin Collins martin@mkcollins.org
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:22:42 +0100

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 18:21:11 -0400
George Georgalis <georgalis@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's spec says 600 dpi but somewhere between 300 and 400 dpi it
> starts to do double passes (exactly when it starts depends on the
> image). I think I understand what's happening, though I don't know
> the vocabulary to explain it (software gets a higher resolution than
> the optical quality requiring multiple passes).

You are thinking of "software interpolation". That's not it though.
I would call this behaviour "backtracking" and like Abel says it is
probably due to a bottleneck in the data path.

Are you using the SCSI card that came with the scanner? Does it have
a serial-port style connector or a proper SCSI connector?
If the former this is probably the problem. Getting a proper SCSI card
will fix it. I recommend Iwill as good value for money.

Martin