libieee1284 problems on FBSD 5.2.1 (was [sane-devel] canon_pp does not work)

Micah micahjon@ywave.com
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:19:39 -0700

Matthew Duggan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since there's been two independant reports of problems with parport
> stuff on FreeBSD 5.2.1, it seems like there may be a problem with
> FBSD 5.2.1 and the libieee1284 port.  I checked up the changelog to
> see what might have caused it, and this line makes me suspicious:
>
> ---
> The puc(4) PCI Universal Communications driver now supports connecting
> parallel ports to the ppc(4) driver.
> ---
> (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/relnotes-i386.html)
>
> It's quite possible that something to do with that is breaking the
> direct access to the parallel port through /dev/io which libieee1284
> performs.  Unfortunately I don't have a FBSD machine handy to test this
> theory.. has anyone out there had any success in getting libieee1284
> access on FBSD 5.2.1 working?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Matthew Duggan

Hi,

The puc driver is supposed to support "dumb" parallel PCI interface
cards.  I tried enabling it in the kernel (even though my parport is
onboard), no difference.  Also, I'm not sure how new this is, but FBSD
5.2.1 has a /dev/ppi0, which is supposed to be for ieee1284 device
access.  Perhaps libieee1284 needs to try this instead of /dev/io?

I'm still working on this intermittently....

Later,
Micah