[sane-devel] XSANE, hotplug, & mail image.

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:54:43 +0200

Adam Bogacki wrote:

> Apologies, I've worked out how to use the mail function but still have
> the hotplug problem.
> I'm aware that I probably have to change permissions, but don't know the
> correct code.

What is the problem exactly?

You can debug the libusbscanner hotplug script by adding a line like
	logger -t libusbscanner USB scanner plugged in at $DEVICE
to /etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner, for example, just before the
'chown' line.

You may have to add a
	sleep 1
just before the first line with the 'if' statement,
to work around the usbfs / hotplug race.

Messages logged by logger during plugin should show up if you run
	tail -f /var/log/messsages
in a separate shell.

Some things I can imagine to prevent it from working:
* kernel without hot-plug support
* hotplug scripts not installed
* scanner not in libsane.usermap
* group scanner does not exist