[sane-devel] XSANE ... hotplug & 'mail image' probs.

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:38:30 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:48:26AM +0200, Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> In the 2.6.x range of kernels there is a weird issue (=bug?), i.e.
> there is a race between the hotplug event and the creation of the
> libusb 'device file' (in /proc/bus/usb).

Uh, really? That makes the whole idea of hot-plug void. It hasn't
happened for me, as far as I remember?

> The libusbscanner hotplug script does not take this into account
> so it may happen sometimes that the script tries to update permission
> for a file that doesn't exist yet.
> As far as I know, this race will be looked at in the next kernel
> series,

So the fix will be there in 2 or three years? Strange.

> but for now you can use a dirty hack like a 'sleep 1' at the top of
> the hotplug script.

Should we use that? Or is there a less ugly way e.g. by checking if
the device file is already there?