[sane-devel] Progress on HP ScanJet 4600?

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:55:07 +0200

Ethan Glasser-Camp wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> This shouldn't require a specific driver, however by visiting
>> http://hpoj.sourceforge.net should lead you in the right direction -
>> using hpoj as a front-end to sane (http://www.sane-project.org) should
>> yield some positive results.  If your friend has email, she should
>> subscribe to this list as well so she can learn how it works as well.
>> There is a lot of documentation out there for this, it's just a matter
>> of glueing the pieces together properly.
>> -Scott
>

> I'm a little skeptical that the hpoj backend supports the scanner in
> question. See http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/suplist.shtml . Note, under
> Unsupported Devices: "HP ScanJets (single-function scanners) are not
> supported by this project. SANE may or may not support your model."
>
> I see that the newer scanners, including (I think) this one, don't use
> SCL [1], like older HP scanners. Apparently, the people at Vuescan also
> find that the protocol used to control the scanner is too complicated to
> reverse-engineer. So, I conclude, no love for the ScanJet 4600?
>
> [1] http://www.usenews.org/group/comp.periphs.scanners/message-6587.html

The scanner search engine at sane-project.org has some info on the USB
configuration of this device and even a link to an USB log.
I'll have a look at the log.

It may help to check the .inf file in the windows driver package and
see if any other scanners besides the 4600 are supported by that driver.

If you're really courageous, you can open the scanner and take note
of the chips inside it.

Bertrik