[sane-devel] Read Errors on Epson 2480 and FC3

Ken Ramey ramey.ken at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 01:36:42 UTC 2005

Hello;

I have been working all weekend on this problem. At the beginning, my new
scanner wasn't even recognized by Fedora. Now, it is recognized but I am
unable to acquire any images. In all cases, the scanner seems to perform a
full scan, but no image appears. In the cases of iscan and xsane, the
preview window never sees an image, although the histogram seems to indicate
that it sees an image. At the end of what seems to be a reasonable scan time
- accompanied by lots of mechanical activitiy from the scanner - a pop-up
informs me that there was a read error because the scanner was busy.
scanimage behaves the same, giving this error:

$ scanimage >test.pnm
scanimage: sane_read: Device busy
$

Here's what I get from lsusb:

# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b8:0121 Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05dc:b18d Lexar Media, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c00c Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 056a:00b1 Wacom Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
#

...and from sane-find-scanner:

# sane-find-scanner

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
# you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
# Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
# If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0121 [EPSON Scanner]) at
libusb:003:003
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
by

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ken