[sane-devel] Scanning for VistA/ADF-scanner

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Thu Aug 18 13:44:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Wolfram Heider wrote:

> Guiseppe,
>
> Nancy meanwhile chose a Brother MFC 5440 CN (multi-functional device - cheap
> but.... hmhm) and seems to be happy with it.
>
> Since ADF-scanners are of growing importance in daily work (not only in huge
> digitalization-projects as that of google) and there probably is a broader
> interest for it here is a short survey of the results of the quick inquiry I
> made to be able to give her some advice - only pure ADFs no MFDs and only
> models currently available in store:
>
> as you said, Fujitsu is a good address for scanners of this type. There are
> really expensive models but also two ones in the affordable region:  the
> Fujitsu 5110C and the 4120C (pricing from 600 to 1000 Dollars). Sane-support
> is basic and as far I can see the maintainer of the backend Allan Noah is
> working on further improvement.

the 4120C2 is better at recovering from usb errors than the 4120C, which
has been discontinued. i also find the newer unit to be slightly faster in
my app (20 ppm vs 19). all lower-end fujitsus have a 'fax machine' type
top-feed adf. this does seem to have more jams than the tray-feed style.
the 5110C has rubber rollers in places that the 4120c has plastic,
which seems to help a little.

i have been looking at the panasonic KV-S2026C lately. i like the paper
path better than the fujitsus, but sane support seems minimal for more
advanced features. similar price to the 4120C2. have not actually tried it
yet.

allan