[sane-devel] Epson 3490

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Wed Aug 31 15:50:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 04:16:46PM +0100, Jim MacLeod wrote:
> I'm new to scanning and relatively new to Linux. Searched the web for info
> and got the impression, which others confirmed, that generally anything
> epson works with Linux, but maybe not the 3490!

Generally, to find out if a scanner is supported by SANE, enter it
into the scanner search engine:
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=epson&model=3490&bus=usb

It says that that scanner is supported with support level "basic" by
the snapscan backend.

> sane-find-scanner gets vendor and product code but scanimage -L finds
> nothing.

Maybe your sane-backends package is just too old? As far as I know,
you need version 1.0.16 for that scanner.

> Having now read a previous mail about the 4490 I'm guessing that the same
> applies to the 3490, ie no go..are my fears justified?

That scanner isn't even in our list. Can anyone provide more details
(vendor/product ids, chipset)? Support is planned for the epkowa
backend, see the list archive of this list for details.