[sane-devel] Lineart emulation

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Sat Dec 3 00:20:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Friday 02 December 2005 23:08, Oliver Schwartz wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 21:12, Stéphane VOLTZ wrote:
>
> > 	since Pierre has added lineart emulation.
>
> I'll need to add something similar to the snapscan backend in the long
> run, since some new scanners don't support lineart mode. It still
> would be nice to have lineart for OCR etc. on those scanners.
>
> Would it be a good idea to have a common library for the conversation
> from grayscale to lineart? Is it used in any other backend?

Same applies to interpoliation. I have a huge patch in my inbox that
adds scaling to my avision backend just because some el-cheapo OEM
scanners do not appear to deliver any resolution - and for the highest
resolution of 2400 dpi have a memory shortage and thus the author
implemented amorphic scans @1200x2400 with software scaling to
2400x2400 to compensate this.

In the long run some plugin subsystem (think ALSA) to plug scalers
together would be a big win. Trivially one could implement this by
adding a backend (simillar to the dll one) with that functionality
shadowing any other backend.

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org