[sane-devel] Scanimage -L problem

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Tue Dec 6 15:04:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 07:07:53PM +0530, Parag N wrote:
>  on which device file generally HP 2400 scanner maps? i check /dev directory

sane-find-scanner will print this.

> on my linux machine and found no single usb device listed there. so does
> that mean i have to create any /dev/usb/scanner or /dev/usbscanner0 device
> file manually to work scanimage -L on HP 2400 scanner?
> sane-find-scanner is working fine.

Then you already know which device the scanner is connected to. If it
prints something about libusb:001:002 (or similar), you can find these
devices in /proc/bus/usb/ .

As the HP 2400 scanner is not supported yet, it's quite normal that
it's not found by scanimage -L. Only supported scanners are found by
scanimage -L.

With unsupported scanners you have two possibilities:
- Wait until someone adds support (see this list for this ongoing
  process)
- Add support yourself.

If you want to add support yourself, you must actually do that
yourself. It does not help to ask the list constantly what to do in
detail. You must read the documentation, and also the source code
yourself and understand it and then fix it. However I recommend to
just wait for the results of Gerald Murray.

Hint: Look at genesys.conf.