[sane-devel] Genesys HP scanjet 2400

Stéphane VOLTZ stefdev at modulonet.fr
Tue Dec 6 21:30:21 UTC 2005

	Hello,

	sorry to have taken so long to answer, but I have little time and many things
to do ... However, I believe it isn't helpful to modify the warmup that way.
You have to set up the right register values instead. Also, you have to make
sure that the scanner is using an area suitable for it, if the head is on a
black area, no warmup will succeed.

	If I had enough time, here's how I'd do:
	- get a windows usb log of a colour preview, just after powering-up scanner
	- extract from it the values to put in genesys_devices regarding constants in
		Genesys_Frontend, Genesys_Sensor, Genesys_Gpo, Genesys_Motor.
	        Current values	aren't considered exact, testing is needed.
	- by running scanimage with full debug and comparing it's output with decode
    	       usb log, modify the genesys_gl646.c file to take 2400 specifics
               into account. Every places where is a xxx_HP2300 constant is a
               candidate.

The HP2300 and MD5345 use a method to build slope tables which is superseded
by the method used for GL841 parts. This newer method should be preferred.
That involves using the newer exposure time comptuing function.

	I again attach the scripts I use to turn an usb log into something more
suitable for developpement. I tested it on HP2400 logs I have. I think have
all the elements to finish support for 2400 but I'm missing an essential
thing: the scanner itself.

Regards,
	Stef