[sane-devel] XSANE: memory limits?

Doug Jones dj6sn at frombob.to
Thu Dec 8 19:03:22 UTC 2005

I hooked up an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner to my Ubuntu system
recently.

Just for the heck of it, I tried to scan a really big image, at maximum
resolution, and 48-bit color.  Not surprisingly, XSane gave me an error
message.  I wasn't really expecting it to actually give me a 6 GB image
file (I only have 2 GB of RAM on this machine).

I did some experiments, and discovered that I couldn't get an
(uncompressed) image file larger than about 160 MB from XSane using this
scanner.

I don't have an immediate need for images larger than this, but I can
imagine wanting to someday, and anyway I abhor arbitrary limits.

My question is:  Where does this arbitrary limit come from?  Is it in
the Sane driver for this particular scanner, or is it built-in to XSane?

These experiments were done on an AMD64 machine with 2 GB of RAM, using
Ubuntu 5.10 and the version of XSane it ships with (0.97).  Both the
AMD64 port and the x86 port of Ubuntu were tried, with the same results.

Thanks...