[sane-devel] How far to go for the CanoScan LiDE 500F

Michael Roitzsch mroi at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 10 14:47:05 UTC 2005

Hi Pierre,

>> Since the CanoScan LiDE 500F is still unsupported and I consider
>> to  buy such a thing, I would like to now, how much work is still
>> missing  on this.
>
> Basic reflective scanning may work with only adding the usb-id and
> a new
> device definition to the backend.

That sounds good to me.

> But getting infrared scan and transparency adapter to work will
> require
> capturing and analysis of usb logs of a scan with the windows driver.

That's of lower priority to me. My primary concern is the basic
reflective scanning.

> I think these are the steps needed for full support:
> - acquire logs from windows scans

Would that be possible from Mac OS X, too? I only have an old Win98
and I am not sure that the scanner will work there.

> We do have some scripts for analysing usb logs. I can help finding the
> differences between the register sets and motor tables of LiDE 500F
> and
> mine LiDE35.

Great. Thanks for the offer. I guess I will go ahead and buy it. I
have to keep an eye on my christmas-budget, so this may take a week
or two, but I will get back to this list once I got it.

Michael