[sane-devel] [Fwd: News] about Canon

Thibault North tnorth at bluewin.ch
Fri Dec 16 23:27:38 UTC 2005

Christopher Albert wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 16.12.2005, 17:22 +0100 schrieb Thibault North:
>
> Hello,
> Here are some news about Canon and our prefered OSes
> Have a nice weekend,
> Thibault North

i don't really know which one, but I could speak with someone from
Zurich (Switzerland) who was presented as someone working in a technical
departement. He seemed sure to be able to do something if the Japanese
Canon is a bit flexible.
We spoke about HP (distributing free drivers) and about the GNU/Linux
community, and he said he knew there was a lot of users to hear...
But let's take all that carefully, nothing is won yet and it seems that
these companies have a so complicated structure that making a move may
be slow and unefficient.

> I have experienced something quite similar. I phoned the marketing
> director for Consumer Products of Canon Austria to ask him if he and his
> company agreed with my MP750 support project (http://mp750.berlios.de).
> He told me that due to Canon's company structure of mostly independent
> national departments the technical specs needed to write drivers don't
> make their way out of Tokio in general.

Yes, exactly. The guy told me he was going to try and change that
(seemed to have good contacts)

> But he encouraged me to continue
> my efforts, he pointed out Canon's and his own positive attitude to free
> software. He couldn't offer me any further technical support though :-(.
> I think that Canon is a positive example for an international
> cooperation that is working efficiently, but managers seem to care about
> their employees and customers. ( just my impression :-) )

Yes, exactly. He admitted they didn't hear a lot of their customers and
I think they want to change that.

Thanks, hope this won't fall once again...don't rejoice too quickly !
Have a nice weekend and happy end of year fests !

Thibault (Sorry for his english)