[sane-devel] Canon LiDE 60 test report

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Dec 31 15:13:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

On 2005-12-31 15:48, Reinhard Mayr aka Czerwinski wrote:
> my answers are inserted below:

Your mail wasn't accepted by the list because it's just too big. I'll
quote the important stuff so you don't need to resend it.

> >Can we have a log file and gdb trace as mentioned in the article,
> >please? Try something like:
> >
> >export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
> >export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL841=255
> >scanimage --mode Color >image.pnm 2>log
> See attached file scanimage.zip (145 kB)

These are the last lines:
[genesys] genesys_read_valid_words: 12560 words
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data: requesting 4680000 bytes
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data: trying to read 65024 bytes of data
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data read 36864 bytes, 4643136 remaining
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data: trying to read 65024 bytes of data
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data failed while reading bulk data: End of file reached
[genesys] sanei_genesys_read_data_from_scanner: reading bulk data failed: End of file reached
[genesys] genesys_dark_white_shading_calibration: Failed to read data: End of file reached
[genesys] genesys_flatbed_calibration: failed to do dark+white shading calibration: End of file reached
[genesys] genesys_start_scan: failed to do flatbed calibration: End of file reached

> (gdb) bt
> No stack.
>
> As far as I can see, the scanimage program does not crash (xsane does!)
> but there is a severe problem which leads to a program exit.

What does gdb print before running scanimage and after it has stopped?

I would have expected dome more messages at the end, e.g. from
sane_close and sane_exit. For some reason scanimage doesn't seem to
these functions.

Anyway, the backend tries to get some data from your scanner and your
scanner delivers (much) less than the backend expects. Maybe your host
adapter has some limitation on how much data can be read in one "block"?

Another more general problem could be, that your scanner doesn't get
enough power from the host adapter. Are other USB devices connected to
it?

> There is also a trace from xsane doing a color scan @16 bit, 300 dpi. The
> program exits with segmentation fault. See xsane.zip (21 kB)

This looks similar:
[genesys] genesys_read_valid_words: 12560 words
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data: requesting 4680000 bytes
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data: trying to read 65024 bytes of data
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data read 36864 bytes, 4643136 remaining
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data: trying to read 65024 bytes of data
[genesys_gl841] gl841_bulk_read_data failed while reading bulk data: End of file reached
[genesys] sanei_genesys_read_data_from_scanner: reading bulk data failed: End of file reached
[genesys] genesys_dark_white_shading_calibration: Failed to read data: End of file reached
[genesys] genesys_flatbed_calibration: failed to do dark+white shading calibration: End of file reached
[genesys] genesys_start_scan: failed to do flatbed calibration: End of file reached

Can we see the gdb mwessages and backtrace from running xsane, please?

> Moreover, under certain (unknown) circumstances I can see a entrys in
> /var/log/messages saying
>
> usb 6-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
> usb 6-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
> usb 6-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
> usb 6-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
> usb 6-1: device not accepting address 5, error -110
> usb 6-1: device not accepting address 6, error -110

Error 110 is "connection timed out".

> At this stage the device is not recognized anymore (according to usbview),
> even unplugging and replugging does not change that. I have to unplug the
> PCMCIA adapter to access the scanner. But yet, I haven't found a way to
> reproduce that, therefore there are no traces for this situation available
> at this time.

Usually such a behaviour means that something is wrong with the kernel
driver for the host adapter or even with the hardware itsself.

> Furthermore, I found, that USB device parameters differ between USB1.1 and
> USB2 -- is this information important? Is an usbview report helpful for
> you?

If the difference is only the packet size of the endpoints (512/64)
and the interval, this is caused by the higher limits of USB2.