[sane-devel] epson 4180 epkowa

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:16:29 +0900

Mickael Profeta <mike@alezan.org> writes:

>>>/usr/lib/libesint43.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
>>>May this line explain why I can not use scanimage
>>>-depkowa:libusb:004:005 or xscanimage?
>>
>>Yes, it does.  It indicates a dependency problem with the standard C++
>>libraries that libesint43.so needs and the ones that are installed on
>>your system.  The odd things is though, that you report that you can
>>use your scanner when using iscan ...  Hmm, iscan itself is written in
>>C++ (nominally at least) so it probably loads the required library in
>>time for libesint43.so (which is loaded dynamically) to use.  When you
>>use scanimage (written in pure C), this does not happen so ...
>>
> Ok, Thanks for the information.
> I manage to compile a version of scanimage which is compatible with
> the epkowa backend by replacing
>
> LINK = $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@
> LINK = g++ $(LDFLAGS) -o $@
>
> in the frontend/Makefile of sane-backends.
>
> This a temporary good solution ;-)

And it confirms my "theory" about the libesint*.so libraries having to
take care of their own dependencies.  Thanks!

> Some more questions now that I can scan with scanimage.
> Why the brightness option is not activate?

Because the hardware does not support setting the brightness.

> # ./scanimage --help -d epkowa
>
> [...]
>     --brightness 0..0 [inactive]
>         Selects the brightness.
> [...]
>
> Is it possible to tune contrast/brightness in another way?

... eh ... through the iscan GUI ... :-{
A number of image processing operations are done by the frontend (in
software), so tuning the contrast/brightness is no problem.

Another option might be looking into scripting the GIMP ...
Not that I have ever done that, but at least it would be possible to
do everything from the command-line.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/