[sane-devel] Infrared channel

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:28:18 +0100

Hi,

On Monday 21 February 2005 00:09, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> Yes, I have seen a rather short "Sane does not support the dust
> removal with the Perfection 4870" here:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2004-September/012111.html
>
> But does somebody at least have some idea how to read an infrared
> channel?  It looks that quite a number of scanners is able to provide
> that information nowadays but looking at backend sources only coolscan
> and coolscan2 drivers can do that now and the situation did not change
> for years.  Are there any plans on the subject?
>
> As a matter of fact yes, I am interested in that capability for Epson
> Perfection 4870.  Apparently VueScan, http://www.hamrick.com/, is able
> to perform that feat on Linux as well.

the problem is our SANE 1 standard, which defines the image format.
We have currently only the possibility to pass RGB data to a frontend.

The solution (whenever we can start) is SANE 2 where we have a more flexible
approach for transmitting image data to a frontend.
It might also be possible for a backend to read the infrared channel and to
perform i.e. the dust removal in the backend, but this functionality should
in general be part of a frontend.

VueScans' advantage or disadvantage here is, that you have a all-in-one
program (scanner-driver + image processor), this has never been the
approach of SANE...

Maybe it's really time now for SANE 2, but it seems we get more and more
problems in writing new driver code, as reverse engineering consumes too
much time...

Ciao,
Gerhard