[sane-devel] Infrared channel

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:16:18 -0500 (EST)

> okay, okay, but that is exactly the problem we're running at!
> For such changes, we first need the documentation finished and agreed, then
> we can do this...
>
> Yes, you are right there.
> First of all we should agree to what needs to be done, how we are willing
> to proceed.
> - extending SANE 1
> - starting SANE 2, by finishing the documents OR another approach: hacking
>  (which is not a good idea)

agreed. i have made a (small) attempt to convert the fujitsu backend to
sane2, but it think the standard is not yet complete enough. i have always
found it difficult to complete documentation without a working test case,
though, so to make sane2 really viable, it would seem that we need a
single backend and simple front-end ported, and modify the standard as
that is built.

i would like to see a few things done in the sane2 standard:

1. buttons as named by the labels on the outside of the scanner
2. simpler locking (or the ability to disable complex locking)
3. more consistent config file interface for all backends
4. better integration with hotplug and multiple scanners of the same type
active at the same time.

other people have mentioned as well:

color correction
IR and jpeg frame types
generic per-scanner config adjustments storage (dot-file in homedir?)

anything i missed?

allan