sane config files [was [sane-devel] Infrared channel]]

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:00:57 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I think there will be a possibility that the backend finds out what
> scanner model talks to in almost all cases. Of course it is hard work to
> find out what registers behave different to identify the models. But I
> am pretty sure that in most cases it is possible for the backend to
> identify the devices. And this will be much better than a XML config
> file.
>
> When it is not possible for the backend to find out the exact device it
> could try the known devices to find out what model it is and store the
> result in an own file (or put it into an advanced sane option that is
> stored by the frontend in the devices preferences file), so it knows
> next time what device it should test at first.

but what about when it CANNOT find out this way? how can the backend
describe to a config tool that it needs some information? can the .desc
file for the backend tell the config tool which scanners it supports, as
well as which ones require user input?

> And for the cases it really is necessary to tweak any config files I
> think it is more important to define and create a SANE-package internal
> configuration program than to define how the config files look like.

is that not the same thing?

allan