sane config files [was [sane-devel] Infrared channel]]

Johannes Meixner jsmeix@suse.de
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:39:07 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 25 09:52 m. allan noah wrote (shortened):
> i think we want to hide the config file concept from the user
> if possible, rather than require someone to change the perms.

It is not required to change any permission.
The default that only root can write to <backend>.conf is
perfectly o.k. but when root likes, he can change the
permissions for <backend>.conf so that a group of normal users
or all normal users get write permission.

Oliver's proposal hides the file concept perfectly from the user
because the user uses only the frontend.

> i personally am very much in favor of per-scanner config files
> anyway, rather than per-backend,

According to Oliver's proposal it is the backend (and as far as I
understand it is only the backend) which writes into <backend>.conf.
So each backend can handle its config file(s) as the backend author
likes:
One backend may have the configs for several scanners in one
<backend>.conf and another backend may have <backend>.conf as
default and <backend>.<model1>.conf, <backend>.<model2>.conf, ...

> what if sane provided these config options for every user, and
> stored them in .sane/ in their homedir.

Please keep the different kind of "configs" seperated:

What I have in mind when I use the word "config" are settings which
should not be changed by a normal user during daily usage
but only by the admin during configuration of the scanner.
I.e. critical settings which must be set correctly because
otherwise the scanner would not work (e.g. firmware file location)
or may be damaged (e.g. maximum values of the scan area).

What you are talking about is to store user preferences.
A normal user likes to store often used sets of various parameters
under convenient names like "text", "color", "photo", ...
so that he can easily switch between them.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix@suse.de