[sane-devel] agfa scsi scanner not detected

Wolfram Heider wolframheider@web.de
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:40:35 +0100

Am Samstag, 26. Februar 2005 00:03 schrieb renna:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 21:59, Wolfram Heider wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 25. Februar 2005 20:28 schrieb renna:
> > > hi, i would like to get my agfa 1236s snapscan working. (it's supported
> > > http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-AGFA). i tried to follow
> > > the instructions on sane-project.org but i can not even detect it. i
> > > powered down my computer, connected the scanner, powered on the
> > > scanner, powered on the computer. but still:
> > >
> > > root@delirium src # sane-find-scanner
> > >
> > >   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
> > > sure that
> > >   # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
> > >
> > >   # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make
> > > sure that # you have loaded a driver for your USB host controller and
> > > have installed a # kernel scanner module.
> > >
> > >   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
> > >
> > >   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
> > > ports # can't be detected by this program.
> > > root@delirium src #
> > >
> > > and if i cat /proc/scsi/scsi i get
> > >
> > > root@delirium src # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> > > Attached devices:
> > > root@delirium src #
> > >
> > > i have scsi generic support in my kernel, and other usb devices work
> > > fine in scsi-emulation. is there some more useful information i could
> > > post? i really don't know where to start from.
> > > btw i use gentoo and currently i have a 2.6.3 kernel.
> > > thanks for any help
> > >

> > > --
> > > Dubitare
> > > Disobbedire
> > > Disertare
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Renato Budinich
> > > renna.bh@katamail.com
> >
> > Hello Renato,
> >
> > what kind of scsi-controller do you have in use? And what's the output of
> > '/sbin/lsmod'?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Wolfram Heider
>
> root@delirium / # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> vfat                   13952  0
> fat                    41120  1 vfat
> sr_mod                 13860  0
> hid                    23808  0
> snd_intel8x0           30472  4
> snd_ac97_codec         67332  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_mpu401_uart         7552  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_rawmidi            22308  1 snd_mpu401_uart
> snd_seq_oss            35584  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      7296  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                57232  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device          7944  3 snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            50088  1
> snd_pcm                87428  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_page_alloc         10120  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> snd_timer              24452  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd_mixer_oss          18688  3 snd_pcm_oss
> snd                    50276  14
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
>_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_o
> [...]

Hello Renato,

the lsmod-command gives back the loaded modules (i.e. the drivers for the
hardware). In your list I'm missing the sg module. You can load it on the
commanline with 'modprobe sg'. Furthermore there should be loaded a special
driver for your scsi-controller (that's the pci-card in your box where the
scanner is plugged in). Did it come together with the scanner or did you
purchase it seperately? You should know at least the vendor anmd the model
and in the best case the kind of chipset on it. Try to find it out. If
nothing else goes open your box and have a look on the card. It is necessary
to know that to have the proper module (different controllers need different
modules) been loaded.

Greetings
Wolfram heider