[sane-devel] Driver for Genius ColorPage-Vivid Pro II scanner

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo@yahoo.com.br
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:36:30 -0400

Hi,

I'd like to announce the initial availability of a driver for the Genius
ColorPage-Vivid Pro II scanner (parallel port). It's available at
http://www.dcc.fua.br/~alg/geniusvp2/.

Please note that this site location is temporary; it'll be moved to a
Sourceforge.net account soon. Also be patient as this server becomes down
sometimes, contact me if you cannot download from the URL above.

It was based on the pxscan code available at
http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-25069/pxscan.html, but was cleaned up a lot since
then (see ChangeLog). There is no SANE backend yet, but I plan to write one
soon.

This scanner is actually a repackaged Primax, but unfortunately I could not
identify what exact Primax model it's based upon. That's why i've used the
OEM name for the project and not the "actual" manufacturer name. Here is the
information about my scanner:

FCC ID: EMJFB308C
MODEL: FB601C

ASIC ID: E1
PRODUCT ID: 6

It'd be nice if someone with a Primax scanner could compare this info so I can
identify this scanner's real name. http://www.primax.nl/model_number.html
says this scanner is a "Colorado D600", but this is not true as AFAIK, D600
has a max. optical resolution of 300 dpi, while Vivid Pro II has 600 dpi.
Also, the ASIC of this Genius scanner is older than that on the D600's.

Regarding the code: It's very "crude" yet, sanity checks are missing in many
locations. When scanning, you may also notice the carriage stops sometimes; I
suppose it's because I'm not buffering the additional data that comes from
the scanner but instead always requesting data.

Also there is no B&W or Grayscale mode yet. Supported resolutions range from
~75 dpi up to 600 dpi (lower resolutions do not work well). More important,
the calibration code does not work and is disabled for now. If someone would
like to take a look at it, it's on src/image.c.

One thing I've also noted is that, at least on my scanner, a vertical "shadow"
strip appear on every scan, while on Windows scans this strip does not
appear. Additionally, the right side of the scanned image seems to be
somewhat green.

Please note this is pre-alpha code yet...

SANE devels: the .desc file for this driver is at
http://www.dcc.fua.br/~alg/geniusvp2/geniusvp2.desc. I plan too write a SANE
backend soon and after that request for its inclusion on CVS.

Comments, suggestions,
--
Anderson Lizardo