[sane-devel] RE: sp15c - 4 Bit gray generates 8 bit files

Gregory C. Johnson lists.ix.sane-devel@gregjohnson.com
Mon Jul 4 02:05:42 UTC 2005

> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:38:13 +0200
> From: Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de>
> To: sane-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
> Subject: Re: [sane-devel] sp15c - 4 Bit gray generates 8 bit files
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 05:03:52AM -0400, Gregory C. Johnson wrote:
>> Does SANE require grayscale to be 8 BPP, or am I just completely missing
>
> Quote from the SANE standard (3.2): "Valid bit depths are 1, 8, or 16

Mmmm, clearly I havn't gotten far enough up the SANE food chain yet. I'll
keep climbing....   OK. I get it.

I understand the decision, but should SANE require a warning in these
cases?  It's kind of counter-intuitive to expose a 4 bit option if it's
just going to get coerced to 8 bit anyway.

HMG- Apologies for the from-addresses, hopefully this will fix them.

Next question:

Does anyone know of a SCSI sniffer for W2k available for free/student
prices?  a tcpdump equivalent would be ideal.

TIA, -Greg