[sane-devel] Re: [sane-commit] Changed format of commit mails

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Thu Jul 21 18:29:13 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 01:29:27PM +0200, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> well in the this doesn't look too bad if it works ;)
> Olivers' and my last commits didn't produce a correct output and CVS mumbles
> something about deprecated format strings...
>
> How could this be fixed?

I don't really know. When I tested it it did work. I tested again 10
times and got 2 failures and 8 good mails.

Some background: Recently, in cvs the format of the variables given to
scripts have been changed (e.g. in CVSROOT/loginfo). The old way gave
everthing in ${sVv} as one argument splitted by spaces to the script
while the new way uses separate arguments. If you still use the old
way, you get a depracation warning. The new way can be selected by a
switch in CVSROOT/config ("UseNewInfoFmtStrings=yes").

This switch is enabled. However, sometimes cvs seems to ignore it (or
does not read the config at all). Therefore it assumes the old way of
handling formats is enabled and emits the deprecation warning. As the
commit log script expected the new format, several error messages were
printed and the commit messages looked strange.

I have no idea why cvs sometimes doesn't accept the keyword for the
new format handling and sometimes does.

Anyway, I've changed the behaviour now by using the old formats in the
script manually (using "%1" instead of "%"). This should work with
both the switch enabled and disabled. However, now a different warning
is printed. Maybe there is a cvs guru out there who understands what's
going on?