[sane-devel] Contributing to CanoScan LiDE 500F development.

Stéphane VOLTZ stefdev at modulonet.fr
Tue Jul 26 05:05:14 UTC 2005

Le Mardi 26 Juillet 2005 02:39, Dag Rune Sneeggen a écrit :
> I've read over at
> http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-canoscan-lide-500f.html and
> http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/genesys-backend/ that there is some work
> being done to get support for this scanner. At the moment I have to haul up
> vmware with windows virtually to scan stuff.
>
> As such, I'm wondering how fast this development is going, and if there's
> any way I could help? Anything in particular that could be helpful?
>
> Cheers,
> Dag Rune Sneeggen
>
> ---
> dudcore Consulting(http://www.dudcore.net) - Quality state-of-art hosting
> and IT Consulting. Personal, reasonable, and honest idealism!
> For geeks by geeks...

	Hello,

	here are the scripts I use to analyze gl646 logs taken with usbsniff 1.8. It
takes a raw log and turn it into a file with higher level functions decoded,
which is much easier to understand. The decode() function used by
scripts/genesys_bulk_write_register.awk
scripts/genesys_bulk_write_register2.awk
scripts/genesys_read_register.awk
needs to be changed to decode gl841 registers. But the rest is OK. There are
still a few raw URB in the results, but they are understable (bulk reads of
data).

	Once the scripts are tuned the process of adding support for GL841 is:
	- use usbsniff to log scans with clearly identified parameters (dpi,
	  geometry, ...)
	- decode the log with the scripts
	- isolate portion of it and match them with high level action such as head
	  parking, shading calibration etc ...
	- change the corresponding functions in genesys_gl841.c to match the
	  decoded log.
	- run scanimage to test with full debug log
	- compare the scanimage log with the decoded log and fixe the differences
	  you get.
	- once a high level function is done, get to the next one.

	I estimate it should take about 20 to 40 hours of work to finish the gl841
backend.

	Patches and questions are welcomed.

Regards,
	Stef