[sane-devel] SANE Option : custom_gamma

Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:19:17 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:58:06PM +0530, Mohit Kumar wrote:
> Sorry for such a trivial question, but I am a novice in this world of
> scanners. My scanner has one of the options as custom_gamma.
>
> What is this supposed to mean and how can I get the gamma corrected
> values or would the values be alreay gamma corrected?

The standard title of option "custom-gamma" is:
"Use custom gamma table"
The standard help text (description) is:
"Determines whether a builtin or a custom gamma-table should be used."

This means, that when the option is active ("true") you can upload
custom gamma tables (lokup tables) to the scanner using the
gamma-vector options. These gamma tables must be provided by you (or a
frontend like xsane). Once the gamma tables are uploaded, the scanner
uses them and the scanned data will be corrected by applying the gamma
tables.

If option "custom-gamma" is not active (false), the scanner uses its
standard gamma tables, probably linear ones.