[sane-devel] Can't download firmware to my scanner

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:59:53 +0200

Hi,

> However, when I attempt to access the scanner in any way, using
> xscan, scanimage -T, etc., it does not work, and the scanner then
> disapears from the
> 'scanimage -L' output, and does not return unless hotplug services
> are restarted & the scanner restarted & reattached.
>
> Based on the error output (see below), it seems like there is a
> problem downloading the firmware to the scanner. I haven't been
> able to figure out why.

You are right, there is something fishy going on in your system during
firmware upload. For some reason the backend can only send the first
1024 bytes of the file.

My best guess is that there is some problem on the USB layer. Can you
send me logs with SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255? Do you see any suspicious
messages in /var/log/messages?

You could also try if unloading the ehci_hcd driver changes anything
(rmmod ehci_hcd). This will change USB communication to the (slow)
USB 1.1 mode, in case you have USB 2.0 ports

Regards,

Oliver