[sane-devel] scanimage looks for the wrong libs

Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:24:17 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:21:39AM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> I'm in the process of making a sane-backends port to OpenBSD.

At least about a year ago, I could build sane-backends on OpenBSD
without any changes (and I could actually scan something). As far as I
know, nothing has changed in sane-backends concerning library loading
since then.

Maybe a change in libtool? Do you use the libtool that comes with SANE
or a different one?

Which was the last version of sane-backends that worked?

There is a now commented out part in the install traget of
backend/Makefile.in that was used for creating links. However, it
hasn't been used since 2 years:

| revision 1.75
| date: 2003/04/30 23:05:45;  author: hmg;  state: Exp;  lines: +17 -17
| Disable manual links for shared libraries.  This breaks MacOS X and
| doesn't seem to be necessary on other platforms any more.

> So far, I encountered only one problem.
> When starting scanimage with DEBUG, I can see that it is looking for
> *.so.1.15 libs (ie : libsane-epson.so.1.15).

The dll backend looks for *.so.1 as far as I can see.

> The thing is, this lib does
> not exist, but *.so.1 (ie : libsane-epson.so.1) exists. I can
> rename/symlink those libs so they end with 1 instead of 1.15 and it
> works, but it's not a great solution.

The symlinking should be done by libtool.

> How can I either make scanimage look for the right libs or make libtool
> (or other) install the libs with the correct name ?

scanimage itsself doesn't llok for any backends. Usually it's linked
statically or linked to the shared libsane-dll backend. The dll
backend then loads dynamically the other backends.