[sane-devel] Bug in snapscan or sane network protocolo?

Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:36:22 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:30:36AM +0200, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> I just made some changes to the code, to actually try this way, but this
> seems to be impossible, since once start() is called, then you have to
> receive the complete frame so you cannot call get_parameters().

You can allways call sane_get_parameters(). You don't get any data by
calling sane_start(), this only happens with sane_read().

> Probably this works locally, since you may interlace function calls,
> while, on the network, you may only send/receive data sequencially.

Not really. Even on the network you send sane_start, then
sane_get_parameters.

> Where may I find a SANE network protocol specification?

In the SANE standard.

> I looked at the saned source code and noticed the data may be
> transferred using a different socket.

It is transferred via a different port.

> Is this true? Are there many SANE protocol versions?

The current protocol version is 3, so I guess there have been at least
2 before this one. But the changes are very minor as far as I remember.