[sane-devel] Scanning Time Question]]

Giuseppe Sacco giuseppe@eppesuigoccas.homedns.org
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:28:38 +0200

Il giorno gio, 09-06-2005 alle 21:33 +0200, Spiro Angeli ha scritto:
> Hi johannes,
[...]
> > I thought you were going to use SANE. Then you don't need vuescan.
> So basically, SANE is the back end. Correct? Then as front end what will I
> use? I believe I was referring to VueScan as front-end. Please clarify this
> for me if I have a wrong understanding of SANE.
[...]

SANE includes many backends and a few frontends. There are also
"external" frontends for sane backends and "external" backends for sane
frontends.

All frontends I know are scanimage, xscanimage, xsane, gimp (uses
xscanimage or xsane), saned.

VueScan is a different product with its own frontend and backend.
VueScan and SANE are different products that do not talk each other.

An example of an "external" sane backend is HPAIO, parts of the HP Linux
Printing and Imaging System.

Giuseppe