[sane-devel] UMAX Astra 2200su

Tony van der Hoff tony@vanderhoff.org
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:01:56 +0100

Klaus Dahlke <klaus.dahlke@gmx.de> wrote in message
<20050611114324.5d6a74c4.klaus.dahlke@gmx.de>

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 18:17:51 +0100
> Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've persuaded my scanner to communicate with SANE over the USB, but am
> > still failing to get it to scan. Maybe my configuration is at fault.
> >
> > SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255 scanimage -d umax results as below, but I don't
really
> > understand what it's all about. Can anyone point me in the right
direction,
> > please?
> >

> Hi Tony,
> I operate also an ASTRA 2200 su. I gave a try to connect to USB, what
eventually did a kind of work, when:

> - switch quality calibration off
> - use only libusb, I have deleted scanner.o from /lib/modules or did
compile the kernel without scanner support for USB to have connection only
via libusb

> But I continued to run into problems when doing a couple of scans one
after the other (see archives for details). So, I went back to SCSI which
works still fine. SCSI driver is loaded during boot, and a small script adds
an entry to /proc/scsi/scsi before xsane is called (scanner is usually
switched off).

> Sorry for not having better news.

Thanks, Klaus,

Yes, I compiled the kernel without scanner support (not an option in 2.6.11,
anyway). I've tried all sorts of settings in umax.config, with no success.

I finally gave up on USB, and procured a SCSI card (Adaptec AVA2904, based
on the AIC7856 chip set). This uses the same AIC7XXX driver as my main
embedded SCSI disc interface. Now at least I can access the scanner, and, in
part, it works; I can even get a scan out of it. The only problem is that it
takes about 40 munutes hour to do so, apparently getting shading data; 64
lines of this, each taking about 30 secs. Could still be a SCSI problem, I
guess.

I had to get on with other work, and have plugged it all back into my XP
<spit> box.

Scanner Access Not Easy, in my experience <sigh>. I'll give it another go
next week, but I don't really know where to go from here. Sad.

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England