[sane-devel] Re: Unpaper 1.0.1 problem

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
13 Jun 2005 06:14:33 +0200

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005  Jens Gulden <mail@jensgulden.de> wrote:

> Janusz S. Bien wrote:
> > *** error: Input file format using magic 'P2' is unknown.

[...]

> The files you use cannot be loaded by unpaper because they are written
> in ascii-mode. Please try to convert them to binary PBM/PGM first.

Thanks!

> >> Both input files has been created with convert from a tif file.
>
> I would expect convert to have an option for chosing between ascii and
> binary mode (but I don't know details about it).

`convert' doesn't seem to have such an option, but experiments show
that `tiiftopnm' creates binary PGMs for my TIFFs.

However the result of unpaper on a sample file

         ./unpaper -vv --layout double 04b.pgm unpaper04.pgm

is slightly surprising: the pages has been shifted slighty to the
left. I hoped the processing will result in the better centering of
them, as my primary goal is to split double pages into single ones.  I
can make the input and output files available if you would like to
have a look at them.

BTW, what whould you recommend for splitting spreads into single
pages? I intend to use `convert' with `crop' option, but for this
specific job it is cumbersome. The scanning has been done by a
library, and for almost every page the size of its scan are different!
Hence I have to compute the crop coordinates separately for every
page.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)