[sane-devel] Avision: Scanner Light Does Not Move--Garbage in Preview Window

Dan McGhee farmerdan@i-rule.net
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:19:35 -0600

Dan McGhee wrote:

> I did all of this on 20050306.  I have a HP Scanjet 5370C (Avision).
>
> Compiled and installed libusb-0.1.10a, sane-backends-1.0.15 and
> sane-frontends-1.0.13.  All were release versions.  For sane-backends
> I used avision.c, avision.h, avision.conf, sanei_usb.c and sanei_usb.h
> from http://svn.exactcode.de/sane-avision/trunk/.  In everything I
> used <./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc.  (Except maybe I
> didn't set sysconfdir for libusb--could this be the problem?)

Recompiled everything and made sure that directories were what I wanted.

> In xscanimage and xsane, I get "garbage" in the preview window when I
> select "Acquire Preview."  I also noticed that in all cases the
> scanner light comes on, travels a very small distance and then turns
> off.  The scanner sounds normal.

I checked out the cvs version of sane.  The scanner now scans, but for a
preview scan I get vertical colored lines in a black and white document
When I scan, the image is rotated 45 degrees clockwise and the colored
lines are still there--also rotated.  I can try to "hack" on the
avision.c file--I'm not really very good at this--to see if I can find
the differences between the cvs and the latest build.  Pointers?

> By the way, I also am having problems with permissions.  The scanner
> is not recognized unless I am "root."  I have
> /etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner with "ugo=x".  I noticed that the
> arguments are commented:

I think I forgot to run "ldconfig" when I copied libusbscanner.  No
permissions problem anymore. OOOOPS.  Sorry.

> Once again I will appreciate any and all help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Thanks again,

Dan